Black stainless-steel refrigerators are the number one choice when it comes to functionality and beautifying your kitchen space at the same time. It is not hard to see why, especially when you admire the sleek finish. However, it doesn’t just stop here. You need to know which one is right for you. Here are your options: Mini, Bottom freezer, and French door black stainless-steel refrigerator. Which should be your top choice? Well, we are here to help you make that important decision. This review consists of our top 10 black stainless-steel refrigerators after carefully looking through a variety of factors. Before we dive in, here is a little insight into what you should look out for before buying that black stainless-steel refrigerator.
Guide to picking the right refrigerator
To make sure that you make the right choice when shopping for a new black stainless-steel refrigerator, there are some crucial factors to consider. It may seem that picking the perfect one is complicated, but not with this guide we have compiled. So, here are important considerations to look out for when next you are shopping for your black stainless-steel refrigerator.
- Refrigerator type: we know for a fact that the big boys in this game are the bottom freezers, top freezers, and side-by-sides. Of the three, the top freezers cost the least. However, the disadvantage is in having to bend to get your items at the bottom of the fridge. Bottom freezers are great because you have the most-used compartment easily accessible. It is conveniently located at eye level. Finally, the side-by-sides are similar to the top freezers because you have to bend down to get food at the bottom as well. However, they occupy less space, even when the doors are open.
- Features: Most refrigerators have tons of features that are unique to each one. You have to consider the internal drawers and shelving if they fit with your family’s eating habits. You also have to consider the most items you stock your refrigerator with. For example, if you will be putting in a lot of pizza, you would want a fridge that has ample space to fit in the box comfortably. Also, look out for freezers that offer unique features for storing food at the right temperature.
- Finishing: When it comes to finishing, the favorite choice of most people is stainless steel. It is famous for tons of reasons, and chief among them is its sleek yet neutral look. If you are the type that takes your home décor seriously, a black stainless-steel refrigerator will fit seamlessly into it, without being too shouty or bland. Some modern finishing for refrigerators come with fingerprint-resistant capabilities.
- Dimensions: Size is significant because you want your refrigerator to fit into the layout of your kitchen. The best choice is one that fits snugly between counter space.
Separating a good refrigerator from a bad one
When it comes to brands, how do you separate a good refrigerator from a bad one? The truth is that there is no one-size-fits-all mechanism to determine this. Apart from the factors already mentioned in our guide above, lots of simple features set one brand apart from another. For example, the Whirlpool brand is one of those ranked high, and we will review one of its top refrigerators. Samsung comes in second while others like LG, GE, Frigidaire, and Amana also have respectable consumer ratings. However, despite their high rankings, they are not all created equally. You can find a GE that is better than a Whirlpool. The best way to tell a good refrigerator from a bad one is to look at the model individually. They have their features, pros, and cons.
So how did we come up with this list? First, we took a look at the overall aesthetic. We can’t ignore how much of a huge impact this would have in any space. Also, being that the refrigerator is meant to be a significant focal point in your kitchen, you wouldn’t want it to be unnecessarily bulky. We went for freezers that are just the right size. We also like to pay attention to special features. What is that one thing that this refrigerator can do that the next can’t? How much can this refrigerator take in comfortably? How large is the fridge? These are the questions we asked and answered. We have taken the stress out by taking a look at these different refrigerators and compiling the list of our top ten black stainless-steel refrigerator. This will help you make the right choice.
Our top ten choices
1. Daewoo Mini Fridge: Best black stainless-steel mini fridge
At some point, everyone will need that compact yet efficient fridge that can be used to store foods even in small spaces. In this regard, the Daewoo Mini Fridge is just what you need. Great for dorms or small apartments, this black stainless-steel mini-fridge slides seamlessly into the smallest of spaces. It also has several other features, including the mechanical temperature control that keeps your groceries fresh for as long as you want it. It is also easy to maintain.
• The mechanical temperature control ensures that all items remain at the optimal temperature
• Adjustable spill-proof glass shelves
• Automatic and manual defrost capabilities
• It is energy efficient as it is Energy Star compliant
• There is a storage compartment for 2-liter bottles
• This fridge also serves as a can dispenser
• The reversible door hinge is excellent as it helps you fit in the refrigerator into smaller spaces without any inconvenience when opening and closing its door
• The icebox section is not that great for storing frozen foods
Our thoughts: This is perfect for a single user with a small apartment space.Check Price
2. RCA RFR321 Mini Fridge: Best budget mini fridge
Just like how a top-rated mini fridge should be, this stainless-steel refrigerator doesn’t disappoint in terms of convenience. Its interior design maximizes every space in the refrigerator, allowing you to store several items in this black stainless-steel mini-fridge easily. With its sleek exterior, you don’t have to worry about it not fitting into your space as the design makes it blend easily with just about any decorating scheme.
• Total capacity is 3.2 cubic feet
• Reversible door feature that helps the fridge adapt to the layout of your kitchen
• Adjustable interior racks
• Adjustable thermostat
• Use the adjustable interior racks to store up items you need easy access to
• Suits any household décor
• Extra storage options in the door for beverages
• Automatically keeps your groceries at an optimum temperature thanks to the adjustable thermostat
• Invisible door handle design that adds to the overall sleek and modern look
• The freezer section is small
Our thoughts: This is an excellent buy for anyone who would love to stock up on beverages in this black stainless-steel bottom freezerCheck Price
3. GE GDE21EGKBB Bottom Freezer: Best Budget Bottom Freezer
Need a perfect addition to your kitchen appliances? Then this black stainless-steel refrigerator bottom freezer is perfect. You will benefit from the refrigerator, which not only keeps your fruits and drinks chilled but also comes with a factory-installed ice maker that comes in handy. The GE GDE21EGKBB bottom freezer also has a sliding snack drawer giving you enough space for extra produce when you need it.
• LED lighting that lets you find exactly what you need any time
• A sliding snack drawer that moves across the entire width of the refrigerator to give you a lot of space
• An advanced water filtration system that makes use of MWF replacement filter
• Turbo-cool setting that keeps all the contents fresh even after frequent openings. This setting drops the interior temperature.
• Accurate temperature display using accessible controls
• Great looking with a lot of room for just about anything you have to put in
• Easy access to ice and frozen items in the bottom freezer
• Glass shelves and drawers that let you view the items at the top easily
• Could be hard to clean the stainless-steel surface
Our thoughts: As a black stainless-steel refrigerator with bottom freezer, this is great for those in a wheelchair and anyone who wants easy access to groceries without reaching for the top.Check Price
4. Amana ABB2224BRB Bottom Freezer: Best for food organization
This Amana refrigerator is famous for its versatile storage options. You can make your favorites stay within reach with the adjustable door bins. With the pull-out drawer which opens and closes with ease, you have ample space to stock up after a shopping spree. Keep your fruits and veggies fresh for as long as you want with the humidity-control feature in this black stainless-steel refrigerator bottom freezer.
• Spill saver Glass Shelves
• Adjustable Door Bins
• Easy freezer Pull-out Drawer
• 22 cubic feet capacity for fitting in all the good stuff
• A dairy center for easy access to yogurt, cream cheese, and butter
• Roomy interior but still a good fit for small spaces
• The pull-out drawer and sliding baskets are very convenient
• It has no ice maker
Our thoughts: Even though this has no ice maker, it is okay for keeping fruits and veggies fresh for as long as you want.Check Price
5. Frigidaire FFTR1821TD Top-Freezer: Best for deli lovers
For its size and price, this is indeed a great looking refrigerator. The first thing you will notice about this Frigidaire is how the black stainless-steel finish matches other appliances in your kitchen seamlessly. When it comes to functionality, this refrigerator doesn’t disappoint either. It is just the right size to feed three adults conveniently for weeks. The doors are sturdy and open nicely.
• Stylish black stainless-steel finish
• Full-width freezer shelf for better food organization
• A reversible door which can be installed on either left or right-hand side depending on your preference
• Conveniently located deli drawer for cheeses and deli meats
• It is easy to maintain as a simple clean with a spray gets rid of dust, fingerprints, and dirt.
• It is small but fits in a lot of groceries
• It is energy-efficient as it doesn’t use up a lot of electricity
• The shelves are adjustable to any level you want
• No light in the freezer
• The top of the fridge takes a slightly convex shape which makes it challenging to keep things at the top
Our thoughts: This black stainless-steel fridge can be used conveniently by a family of three and anyone who would love a refrigerator that doesn’t take up a lot of electricity.Check Price
6. GE PYE22PBLTS French Door: Best smart refrigerator
The GE French door refrigerator is that perfect example of a smart refrigerator you would love to have in your home. From its counter-depth design, which has a flush-fitting to its K-cup brewing system, this refrigerator is the picture of convenience. It comes with hot water scheduling that lets you brew beverages at any time of the day with the hot water ready. Enjoy even greater convenience with its temperature-controlled drawer and the extra advantage of having internal LED lights. Being a smart refrigerator, this French door has in-built Wi-Fi that is compatible with Google and Alexa.
• Maintain optimal temperature for your food with three accurate settings
• The turbo cool setting drops the internal temperature which maintains the freshness of your food no matter how much you open the door
• It comes with an optional second icemaker
• A quick space shelf quickly slides out of the way, giving you ample space for tall items
• Thanks to the TwinChill evaporators, separate temperatures in the freezer and fresh food sections keep all food fresh
• It comes with an advanced water filtration system
• It is energy efficient
• You can only use a single username and password to control the refrigerator wirelessly
Our thoughts: This black stainless-steel French door refrigerator is ideal for familiesCheck Price
7. Whirlpool WRX735SDHV French Door: Best budget stainless-steel refrigerator
The Whirlpool WRX735SDHZ is a lovely black stainless-steel refrigerator that we know as the French door variety. When it comes to features, this refrigerator has a lot to offer, especially in helping you organize food. Just like a few other refrigerators we reviewed, the Whirlpool WRX735SDHZ comes with an external refrigerator drawer where you can get easy access to snacks or items you use frequently. This saves you the hassle of opening the larger compartment every time you need to take out something, while also saving energy.
• Drawers have separate temperature controls which allow you to base your settings based on its contents
• It has adjustable gallon-size door bins to store bulky containers easily, regardless of the dimensions.
• Fingerprint-resistant exterior
• It is easy to keep clean as you can quickly wipe down the touch controls and not worry about fingerprints due to resistance
• The spill-proof shelves help in confining spills to just one shelf, to save on cleaning time and stress.
• Get water and ice from the fridge without opening it using the automatic settings that turn the refrigerator off when it is done.
• It is energy efficient as it uses just about 683 kilowatts of electricity in a year, which is not bad for a fridge of its capacity.
• It doesn’t have extended warranties for the compressor
Our thoughts: If you are on a budget, then you should consider getting this French door. It is low maintenance and works efficiently.Check Price
8. Frigidaire FGHB2868TD French Door: Best for low-cost efficiency
Another popular black stainless-steel refrigerator under the French door category is this Frigidaire model. It has tons of storage options, including ample internal storage for storing food and drink of different sizes, and gallon door storage as well. This fridge is easy maintenance, thanks to its fingerprint-resistant and smudge-proof exterior. With this, you can maintain its sleek style for years with just the occasional cleaning.
• Ice and water dispenser
• Customizable shelving units which allow you to adjust the fridge to whatever setup works best for you
• Comes with two-gallon storage door bins and three half-width shelves
• The drawers have an effortless glide feature that makes it easy to grab items
• Great overall capacity
• Multilevel LED lighting inside the fridge that allows you to see into all corners, reducing the chances of forgetting about an item until it is too late
• The filtration system is effective in removing impurities from water, giving you access to cleaner water right from the fridge.
• The roll-out freezer door is functional and convenient
• The icemaker occasionally produces cubes that fuse to create a blockage
Our thoughts: If you’re looking for great storage options within a stylish and practical exterior and want something that will be useful to a large family, then the Frigidaire is worth a closer look.Check Price
9. Samsung RF263BEAESG/AA French Door: Best for Ice users
No doubt, Samsung decided to keep it simple with this French door refrigerator. With its not-so-bad features and clean-looking design, there is a lot to like about this black stainless-steel refrigerator. Starting from the looks, it is modern with a tasteful finish. You won’t have any issues with fitting this black stainless-steel fridge from Samsung in with your kitchen décor. However, the interior could be better in terms of storage space.
• External water and ice dispenser
• The LED display above the ice dispenser shows the fridge settings and temperature controls
• 16.6 cubic feet of internal storage space
• It has two main shelves divided into four sections. These sections make it easy to store tall items and quickly grab items at the back
• It has a pantry-style drawer at the bottom with its distinct temperature presets
• It scores high when it comes to being energy efficient
• If you require lots of storage space, this wouldn’t be a wise choice
Our thoughts: This midrange black stainless-steel refrigerator from Samsung is an excellent choice if you want something inexpensive and modern.Check Price
10. Frigidaire FFSS2315TD Side-By-Side Refrigerator: Best low maintenance
A great way to keep food chilled and organized is by using this Frigidaire FFSS2315TD Side-By-Side Refrigerator. For a side-by-side, it comes in pretty handy in your kitchen with its impressive features. Its water filtration system keeps water clean, so getting water is stress-free. Its controlled humidity levels also ensure that your fruits and veggies are at no risk of getting spoilt while in this fridge. It certainly helps that there is a bright internal light that illuminates the interior perfectly.
• Top-notch ice and water dispenser
• Interior LED light
• Ample storage space with gallon door bins, drawers, and cantilevered shelves
• Controls are touch-sensitive for smooth operation.
• Has ample space for more door shelves
• The night light on the freezer door comes in handy when you need to grab a drink in the middle of the night
• The door open alarm notifies you when the door is not closed all the way.
• No indicator for when to change the water filter
Our thoughts: This refrigerator is not too big and not too small. It is just the right size to attend to basic freezing needs for a family of four.Check Price
What is the best size of a refrigerator?
The perfect size of the refrigerator for your needs depends on how you want it to look in your space, the size of your kitchen, and the size of your household. At least six cubic feet is okay for each adult in your home. There should be an extra six cubic feet of storage space for special occasions. However, if you are a household of a maximum of two adults and eat out mostly, about 14-cubic feet should be enough. You can get a more accurate estimation of the best fridge size for you by measuring the depth, width, and height of your space. Be sure to factor in enough space to open the fridge door and at the back for plugs. The right size will also fit through all your hallways and doors, which you will need to navigate through to get your refrigerator to its designated space.
How do I decide the best refrigerator organization?
Just take a look at your shopping habits. How do you organize your frozen foods, meats, and other products? If you are the super-organized type, then opt for a fridge with extra compartments, which make it easy to separate meats from cheese or vegetables from fruits. Here, you will also have to take note of the freezer organization. If you want drawers that are wider and shorter, bottom-freezer refrigerators are the way to go. However, if your preference lies with shelves that are taller and narrower, then side-by-side fridges are your best bet.
Are ice makers and water dispensers necessary?
While the water dispenser and ice maker feel like extras, they are still important factors to consider. Ice makers will come in handy in your day to day routine as it lets you have ice when you need it. Some feel like it is a leak hazard or takes up too much space, but this can be managed to ensure safety. Using a water dispenser and changing the filter every six months is a small price to pay for the environmental and monetary benefits. This is as opposed to drinking bottled water. Therefore, having a refrigerator that has these features is a plus.
Do I need a smart refrigerator?
Smart refrigerators can connect to Wi-Fi and have other great features. These could include an internal camera that lets you see inside your fridge even when you are far away from home or options for remote troubleshooting. A smart refrigerator is a good deal, especially if you value these types of features.
How important is energy efficiency?
This is extremely important. With an energy-efficient refrigerator, you will be reducing the amount of greenhouse gas emissions in the atmosphere.
This guide will help you get the best out of your black stainless-steel refrigerator by making the right choice.